Seeing Red

When I went to the post office to check my mail today, I saw red ... literally! At first I thought it was Netflix (which it was, too). Then as I pulled out my mail from the box, I saw a lovely red Mailorder envelope! Yipee! Can't wait to get started on it!

This morning I ran into town to have my glucose tolerance test. Yuck. I think that's all I have to say about that test!

So, as I had an hour to kill in the waiting room, I smocked (Christy, you should be so proud of me!). Christy was teaching me how to smock while I was on bedrest and she's been bugging me to finish ever since! I also had grabbed my ipod on the way out the door, and without little ones to share it with, I listened to my music and smocked.

It was a very peaceful hour ... until ... I had a "sad song sneak attack." It caught me by surprise. The song was I Believe by Diamond Rio. It reminds me of my sister, Kristen, who was killed in a car accident. I wasn't ready for the tears. Big fat, juicy tears running down my face. Luckily, I didn't have any loud sobbing sounds. That would have been very embarassing. (Just wished I would have looked in the mirror before running all over town because I had smudged my mascara!)

Then, sans kids, I ran to the thrift store. There I experienced "sheet-thrifting fingers." We always joke that when Joe eats chicken he gets "chicken fingers," which is when you have greasy fingers, you have an itch. I had "sheet-thrifting fingers" today. As I'm rummaging through the sheets and pillowcases I always get an itch on my head or face and I'm so terrified to touch myself (or the kids) until I've carefully disinfected my hands. So, I had a little itch on my head near my ear. It had to be scratched, so I used my left pinky finger. It happens every time!!!

So, without a phone or reliable internet service, I have been sewing. I sewed this pink apron (trying a scalloped edge) for a gift, but I don't like how pointy the scallops turned out. In my defense, I must say that my internet went out while sewing the apron, so I had nothing to reference. Out of default, I will keep this one for myself.




So then I sewed this little green floral apron instead.



Then I decided to give a pocket-size tissue holder a try. It turned out on the first try. (Well, actually, I had made one out of felt many years ago, after seeing it in a MS Baby magazine. I couldn't find my magazine, but the felt one was still with my sewing supplies, so I just measured it.) I used a handkerchief for the outside (pretty funny, huh? a handkerchief tissue holder?) and white and black polka dot fabric for the lining. Very simple and already in use.



Tomorrow I hope to post my thrifted sheets and pillowcases. They're in the dryer now.

Comments

African Kelli said…
The green apron and the tissue holder are wonderful! Lera, you've got an eye for color and fabrics. Awesome!
laura capello said…
Lovely tissue holder! I've been wanting to make some of those myself.

And I'm so sorry that you got sad when thinking of your sister today. It is often hard to think about the loves we've lost.

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair