Gratitude




Today I am full of gratitude.

One year ago today I embarked on a very scary journey. I was pregnant and bleeding and confined to bedrest. I was so terrified that I had lost, or would lose, my baby. Although I have had a miscarriage in the past, this seemed worse. The pain and sorrow I felt as we drove to my sonogram was deeper than I imagined. I tried to be strong for Joe. And he tried to stay strong for me. The truth is, neither one of us was very strong. It was a silent car ride, aside from our sobbing.

When we received the news that the baby had a heartbeat, I wept. I grabbed Joe's hand tightly and prayed. I was so very grateful. So. Very. Grateful. For the month of bedrest (and the subsequent months of pregnancy) I was worried that something would happen to our baby.

Today I have a beautiful, healthy six-month-old baby boy, whom I completely adore. Countless times I have whispered in his ear, repeatedly, "I'm so happy you're here. I'm so happy you're here."

I'm so happy he's here. He has completed our family. I am so grateful that he is a part of my family. A part of my life. He is a perfect fit. He is a sweet, sweet blessing.

So today, if I am silent, just know that I am holding Sawyer a little tighter, kissing him, and whispering "I'm so happy you're here. I'm so happy you're here" in his ears.

Comments

Karyn said…
Beautiful pictures, beautiful baby, beatiful words. We are all glad he's here :)
Anonymous said…
I am happy he is here too!!! Those cheeks, I just want to kiss them!!!
Anonymous said…
enjoy your day of gratitude. i say that to my babies, too.
laura capello said…
he was meant to be a member of your family.

unfortunately, he may have given you a glimpse into his teenage years...
Lauren said…
Hi, I made my way here from artsycraftybabe and I just wanted to say that was a very sweet post.
Anonymous said…
awww... that made me tear up a bit. hug that baby for me. :)
Brandy said…
Beautiful post!
Katie Jean said…
aww that is so sweet it almost made me cry! What a cute little one!
Anonymous said…
From your loving hubby:

While we've been through a lot together the last year. We've cried, and laughed.

We are so blessed, and our children are blessed because they have a wonderful mother.

I love you.

Joe.
beki said…
What a sweet, touching post Lera. Thank you for sharing :)
Anonymous said…
Such a lovely, heartfelt post.
Me and Him said…
Ah you brought tears to my eyes. He is adorable.
Anonymous said…
It's good to think back to where God has brought your through. Thanks for sharing this sweet story.
Anonymous said…
Your words touched my heart. I'm sure Sawyer is just as happy that you're here for him.
kristin said…
oh, just read this for the first time. i know the pain of miscarriage and the fear of maybe losing another...i rejoice whenever i look at my eliza.

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair