Redeemed

The scarf was frogged. Spenser and Sawyer helped. Jackson was sad that he was at school and missed it. Apparently I had told him he could help and I forgot. (Don't worry Jackson, I'm sure there will be plenty of frogging in my future.)

I actually finished another knitting project. A cowl (found via Ravelry). This was my first attempt at knitting with circular needles. And I learned almost everything I needed to know from Youtube. Except when it was completely finished and tried to put it on my head. The binding was too tight to stretch over my head. When I casted off I had used the regular, old cast-off method and it resulted in a tight binding. It could fit my sweet little girl, but not her mama.

I fretted and fretted over this. I did not know what to do. I then thought I should place a 911 call to my knitting and bloggy friend, Amanda. Thank goodness that I did. She saved the show. And the cowl, too. She suggested I try a Russian cast-off and check Youtube. I did and came upon the elastic cast-off that I thought might work. Silly me. I thought a cast-off was a cast-off and they were created equally. Now I know.


Alas, this cowl is not without its own issues. I don't know what happened. It doesn't look like a slipped stitch to me because I could never locate the stitch. Maybe my tension was off? But there are some holes. I was afraid to take it apart. I was afraid it would just keep raveling away until it was completely gone. I think I can live with this mistake. It's not very noticeable.

It's so popular in my house that some boys have requested their own. And Miss Spenser is upset that I have reclaimed the cowl she thought was hers ...

Details:

4 mm circular needles
less than one skein of Patons Classic Wool in charcoal
elastic cast-off method
(It took a lot longer than the 1 1/2 hours the creator said it took her. It took that much time alone to pick out my old binding and correct the slipped stitches from said raveling.)

Comments

laeroport said…
I think a little felted flower or something could cover up that small imperfection just perfectly. ;)
beki said…
Thanks for sharing that link, I've never bound off like that before.
Kris said…
Frogging is soooo much fun! No wonder Jackson was sad.
Marty said…
Looks to me like the yarn split when your were making the stitches in those spots. I've knitted for years-since I taught myself at 10 (that's a total of 50 years now) and I still have yarn that splits while knitting. Drives me nuts!
Cindy Is Crafty said…
Lera,
how about putting a felty flower over it? I hid a multitude of sins with them! :o)
Diane said…
I'm so impressed. I barely even understand what you're talking about! But, it turned out lovely and I will never try making one of these. May I just continue to admire yours?? Knitting and I just don't get along :)
craftyclaire said…
I so relate to you over knitting!!! Making mistakes is a nightmare. But you've done really well. I've just restarted a hat 3 maybe 4 times, and finally I'm doing it right!!!
Sam said…
I just had to tell you I stepped on a live mouse last night and shrieked and jumped on my bed screaming for my husband and the first person I thought of (besides him) was you. :)
Amanda Jean said…
i had to laugh that you are sure that Jackson will get a chance to frog something. that's very funny and i can relate all too well. my kids like to frog things, too.

the cowl is cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair