Carolina Red BBQ Sauce


I love vinegary barbecue sauce. I found a recipe online and I changed it up a bit. I must warn you: this is not for everyone. In fact, Carter and I were the only ones who ate it.

It was so good (to me) that after I ate it, I felt a few dots of perspiration forming under my eyes above my cheekbones. That has never happened to me before. But it has been consistent each time I partake of this sour sauce.

This is coming from a girl who drinks dill pickle juice and used to drown her potato chips in ketchup and vinegar when she was younger. (I won't exactly divulge how recent these two events have taken place. We'll just say I was "younger." Maybe by just a day or maybe a decade ...)

So, without further ado ...

Carolina Red BBQ Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar*
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper

To vinegar add spices. Whisk until dissolved. Add ketchup and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until use. I ate this with pot roast, pork chops and mac 'n cheese. And, in a week's time, it's almost gone. I bet it's excellent on potato chips, too.

*I added a little balsamic vinegar (maybe 1/4 cup or less) to equal one cup just because I had a little left in the bottle that I needed to use.

Comments

Katie said…
My mouth is watering just thinking about it!! YUM!!!!
FinnyKnits said…
That sounds fantastic! I love the vinegary BBQ sauces! We had some NC style BBQ at a place south of here (NorCal) and they had stuff called, "Hogwash" that was mostly vinegar and spices. SO GOOD.
Brenda said…
That sound great. I going to try it.
Amanda Jean said…
I thought of you tonight when I was adding hot sauce (not Franks, but the generic version of it) in my soup. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair