Friday, December 10, 2010

Vogue 7871 Dress

Last night our town held the MML's Christmas dinner for our county. While our local chapter of MML meets frequently (monthly? quarterly? I'm not even sure), I rarely attend. I went one time last year, which I think was also the Christmas dinner. I don't go often, mostly, because of the cost for the town. It usually costs around $30 per person for food. Our little town of 900 people is struggling just like major cities. But, since we were hosting it, we all agreed to attend.

I had planned to make a dress this past summer and never did. How typical of me. So when I heard about this dinner, I knew it was time. I used the fabric I had originally picked out this summer, which is a thrifted sheet. Or something. I thought it was a sheet, then I realized it was homemade. So maybe it was a shower curtain. I'm not sure. It's hard to tell but it's off-white with a reddish-pink floral design. I thought it could also double as a Christmas outfit with red and white. Or reddish-pink and off-white. Whatev.

It's been freezing here, so I had to wear it with a cardigan. I also wore my black ribbon belt. Oh, and that cool, vintage rhinestone reindeer pin I have. Except the reindeer is now missing his red eye.

Without the cardi, it's kind of plain. But I still like it. The pattern calls for a belt, but I knew I wasn't going to wear it to the dinner, so I didn't bother making one yet.

And I thought, if I never get around to making the matching (bleh!) belt, I could always improvise.

I used Vogue 7871, which sadly is out of print now. I made the length a tad longer than the shorter version. And I had to slightly modify the sleeves because it looked like the sleeves and I were about to take flight. I had thought about making a felt-poinsettia belt to go with the dress, but I ran out of time. After all, I cut out the dress on Monday night; started sewing the dress Tuesday night; and hemmed it and fixed the wings sleeves Thursday afternoon, just hours before the dinner. I also used a 22" invisible zipper instead of the regular one. (Thank goodness I made a mock-up dress 2 weeks ago. The invisible zipper looks much nicer.)

6 comments:

Autum said...

Lovely! I'm a last minute girl too. We work better under pressure. I love the shape of the dress and it looks great on you.

nikki said...

You're so talented and fashionable!

beki said...

very nice! that's a flattering shape on you :)

lisa said...

Very nice. I wish I could sew clothes.

Kris said...

It looks great!

Katie said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!