A few weeks ago I made a pair of bandanna pants for Jackson. I had seen a tutorial in an old Martha Stewart Kids magazine that I've had forever and have always wanted to make them. I even had the bandannas (some washed, some not with the $1.26 Walmart price tag still attached).
The first pair I made using a cotton drawstring (MS suggests cotton twill, but I couldn't find mine). They sure are cute, but harder than heck for a 7-almost-8-year-old to untie when he's rushing to the bathroom at the very last minute, as he usually does. I found myself biting at the drawstring with my teeth trying to help him, as he pranced about. Not practical.
And then this tutorial was published (as well as this one with photos). And I decided to make the next pair with elastic. Much more practical.
I didn't hem either pair. The bandannas themselves are hemmed and it really made them so much easier. And they will fit them forever. They are already requesting more. I figure for $2.50 a pair, we can afford more. (Oh and my bandannas were only like 24" not 27" that MS recommends.)
(Excuse the lack of a better photo for the bottom pair. I might have better photos on the camera, but this was a shot of Mason's geocache find from Saturday.)