Bandanna Pants

A few weeks ago I made a pair of bandanna pants for Jackson. I had seen a tutorial in an old Martha Stewart Kids magazine that I've had forever and have always wanted to make them. I even had the bandannas (some washed, some not with the $1.26 Walmart price tag still attached).

The first pair I made using a cotton drawstring (MS suggests cotton twill, but I couldn't find mine). They sure are cute, but harder than heck for a 7-almost-8-year-old to untie when he's rushing to the bathroom at the very last minute, as he usually does. I found myself biting at the drawstring with my teeth trying to help him, as he pranced about. Not practical.

And then this tutorial was published (as well as this one with photos). And I decided to make the next pair with elastic. Much more practical.

I didn't hem either pair. The bandannas themselves are hemmed and it really made them so much easier. And they will fit them forever. They are already requesting more. I figure for $2.50 a pair, we can afford more. (Oh and my bandannas were only like 24" not 27" that MS recommends.)

(Excuse the lack of a better photo for the bottom pair. I might have better photos on the camera, but this was a shot of Mason's geocache find from Saturday.)

Comments

Emily said…
Hello Lera!
Bandanna pants! What a splendid idea!

Elastic is great at any age (including mine ~ 51!!) :P
Karyn said…
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...cute!!

And there are so many different funky bandanas to choose from! Awesome!
Anonymous said…
Hi Lera, what a beautiful bag! -Sorry catching up as usual but been mad busy with NC exchange student preparations. Those bandana shorts are such a brill idea. I wonder if something similar could be done with pillowcases? Lovely style.
Berber said…
Great! I must try these too!
Amanda Jean said…
these are great! I would vote for elastic as well, because my son seems to wait to the last minute before darting to the bathroom, too. why, oh why do they do that???
What a great idea and cheap too.
hooli said…
Very clever! You have great ideas and amazing motivation. I still don't know how you do it all.
Emily said…
Hi Lera,

Do visit my blog! There is a surprise for you there!
jessica said…
so much fun! I remember homemade shorts being a big part of my summer wardrobe growing up. I believe we called them "bermudas" - does that date me?
Apple said…
Those are cute pants. I think I would even wear them. I like different things like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair