January 6, 2006

I have decided to try blogging. I don't know why I think I have time for this. As the mother of five children (ages 9, 7, 5, 3 & 14 months), I am usually busy running around. I have a few spare minutes now, as my children and husband are enjoying our weekly Friday "family movie night," and I'm not much interested in the movie selection tonight, Fantastic 4.

My name is Lera. I grew up in a small community in Maryland. I always thought I was a city-girl. I never thought I would want to live in a small community, especially since I was "punk rock" in the 80's and 90's, through high school and college. But, that was before I got married and had kids.

I married, Joe, in June 1995. Since that time we have had two homes, a few fish, and five children (and a few annoying, unwanted mice).

Together we have four boys: Taylor (9), Carter (7), Jackson (5), Mason (3) and one girl, Spenser (14 months). Okay, please don't comment on the choice of my baby girl's name. It was a girl name I've wanted to use before the birth of my 2nd son. I've heard it all from people. Everyone thinks she has a boy's name, but if you look at the spelling (and you look at her), you can tell that she and the name are completely feminine.

We currently live in an old, historic town in north-central Maryland. Our house was built in 1876, with an addition circa 1910. It is an "L-shaped" house. We bought it as two separate apartments and have made it whole again. We have been working on it for more than 5 1/2 years (while I was newly pregnant with Jackson). We still have more work to do, but the improvements thus far are incredible! (Especially if you look at the before pix!)

While I love to try new things, I don't really do any one thing *great.* I like to sew, but I'm not very good. I like to cook, and my husband eats most of my food (he's pretty picky). One thing I've tried lately is soapmaking. I have found this quite enjoyable, although time consuming. I have found that making soap, late at night while everyone else is asleep, is fun. Lately I've been making all kinds of chocolate soap (chocolate, chocolate-mint, and chocolate peanut butter). All smell yummy, but trust me when I say they do not taste yummy (a long story for another time). I made soap for teachers, friends and family this Christmas. So far no complaints. (I am waiting for a complaint of brown lather/bubbles from the soap, as it was made with cocoa powder. But I *promise* that it comes off the shower wall easily with water, and off of soap scum you didn't know you had until it turned cocoa-powder brown, with bleach-water.)

I hope you enjoy reading my blogs. I will try to update them regularly, as time permits. And I will start posting pix soon.

Lera




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair