Pillowcase Skirt


I'm in the throes of spring de-cluttering and de-stashing. Clothing and fabric. When I was going through my bins of fabric, I organized and sorted (see dots), and put some aside for immediate future projects and some to give to my two young nieces who are learning to sew.

I thrifted this pillowcase a year or two ago with the intention of making it into a skirt. I had forgotten about it and as I picked up each piece of fabric or pillowcase or sheet, I asked myself, "Why did I buy this? Do I love this? Am I going to use this? If yes, how soon?" The pillowcase was thrown into the "make immediately or get rid of pile." And, guess what! It was made immediately into the pillowcase skirt it was destined to become.

There are a few more things I've already made from the "make immediately or get rid of pile." (It feels really good.) But you should see the "get rid of" pile. That's enormous.

Comments

Karyn said…
You are totally into this de-stashing, I love it!

I also love that skirt!
Amanda Jean said…
that pillowcase looks great as a skirt.

good for you for destashing!
Tonya said…
I love this fabric and it looks great as a skirt! I need to start looking for some old sheets! LOL
nikko said…
Thanks for the reminder. Must go through my stash soon!
Anonymous said…
I bought a great pillowcase with the intention of making a skirt but my hips are too wide. Drat! I guess it will be a dress for Aidin instead.
misschris said…
I want to see the discard pile! ;)

Cute skirt, Lera! I never see things to make for myself... but that pillowcase is a perfect print.
Turned out to be a great looking skirt. Love the colours. And good for you for getting to it right away.
FinnyKnits said…
Oh, I'm glad you did - that is a great skirt! Like that pillowcase was meant to be a skirt all along.

Nicely done with your destashification.

Yeah, that's a word. What of it?
Unknown said…
That is a really fabulous skirt. I just love the colors. I don't think I could ever get so lucky as to find something as cool as that pillowcase at a thrift store. Way to hunt!
Diane said…
I just found your blog and am really enjoying it. You inspire me to sew something! Your skirt is very cute. Thanks for all your helpful tips.
Emily said…
If only I can find an extra large pillowcase..... sob....
Anonymous said…
i love it. i think - i'm pretty sure, actually - i had that same pillowcase with the same intentions before we moved. it didn't make the move. *sigh*
Anonymous said…
I can't believe that started as a pillowcase! Too cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair