And, as if I haven't been busy enough, I've been canning when I can. The day before my surgery I made another batch of pickled watermelon rinds and this week I made some triple-citrus marmalade. The marmalade was so very simple. And it's tasty, too. I don't know why I've never made it before.
I am recovering nicely from my surgeries. The podiatrist released me from his care yesterday. And told me I could go running right away. But, well, I'm still under my GYN's care for another five weeks (although he said I could run within days of the surgery, I think I will call to make sure he really meant that). And, my knee is acting up. It's funny how great it felt last week when I was on narcotics. The afternoon of my surgery I told Joe I felt so good I wanted to go for a run. He looked at me and very sternly said, "You. are. NOT. going. to. run." Glad I listened. I don't think a drugged-up person can make rational decisions and I'm sure I would have gotten hit by a car or something had I left the house without adult supervision.
And in other news:
- A certain little boy turns three tomorrow. THREE! And the birthday present I ordered for him last week is not coming. It was the last one in stock and I got an email this week telling me it is damaged. I have nothing to give him. I walked around Wal-Mart last night and saw nothing. There are no toy stores in this area at all. Tomorrow morning I will take him to the next county to the Toys 'R Us and hope I find something. Since my account was already debited, I told them to send it when it comes in stock for Christmas. (And Spenser will be getting one of these, too.)
- My father had an appointment with his oncologist last week, and he is in "complete remission." This was a total surprise to us. Now, this does not mean his cancer is cured, but it's taking a break from his body. He was diagnosed 7 1/2 years ago (just months before Krissy died) and was told it was incurable. He had chemo four years ago and was in an 85% remission then. It's the power of prayer, I tell ya.
- My favorite snack lately (besides sweet peppers from my garden with ranch dressing) is almond butter on graham crackers. I can't get enough.
- I have sewing on my mind. It has been a long time since I've sewn. I'm thinking new fall skirts. I have the perfect fall tablecloth waiting to be worn.
- I'll have to update you on my hens soon. We're getting lots of eggs. (See sidebar.)