What a Day!


As you know, election day was yesterday. My children wore their campaign shirts to school (except Taylor); and Spenser, Sawyer and I wore our shirts to preschool and to run errands. It was a long day. The younger boys had a half-day of school, so as soon as they came home, we walked over to town hall so I could vote. I think it's important for children to see their parents vote.

And then we waited. The kids rode their bikes. I pulled a few weeds and found a fresh snakeskin snuggled around my lavender plants. And then we ate dinner. And waited. And went to Carter's band concert. And waited some more.

Shortly after 9:00 p.m., the phone rang. It was the election supervisor. When he confirmed he was talking to me, he said, "Congratulations. You are our newest council member." I was stunned, humbled, happy, excited, scared, freaking out.

I visited a few elderly neighbors to let them know and they hugged me. It was good.

* * * * * Now, here are a few random facts:

  • A teacher at school told Mason (6) that his campaign shirt was inappropriate for school. Joe called and talked to the principal and, well let's just say, that the principal loved the shirts and was not happy about the teacher's comment.

  • Shortly after hearing the news of my election, I thought, "I should call Mom-Mom." And then I remembered. And got a little teary-eyed. She would have been so happy for me.

  • This morning I took a victory lap around town in my campaign shirt. It was the best (and fastest) run I've had in awhile. I think it helped that it was only 45 degrees outside at 6:10 a.m.

  • My phone has not stopped ringing this morning. I started this post over three hours ago.

  • I placed second highest with votes. 130 people voted. I received 92 votes. Ninety-two. Humbling. The first received 95 votes, and is an incumbent. The third and final slot received 79.(Also an incumbent.)

  • As happy and excited as I am, I feel bad for the other three candidates. I can't help it. It's just who I am.

Comments

April said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Lisa said…
Congratulations!
~Michelle~ said…
Congrats! Next stop is Congress, where you can join the 27-year-old, and try to bring down the average age! ;)
Anonymous said…
so proud of you!
Brenda said…
That's why you won. Because of who you are. Congratulations
Jessica said…
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! You are so inspiring and maybe someday I'll join you as a city councilwoman (in a differnt town, of course) :)
(I'd never run against you ~ I'm not an idiot!!) LOL!!
~Jessica
Katie Jean said…
That is totally awesome! I am sooo proud of you!
dig this chick said…
yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaay! I was so hoping this would be your post today! And, holy shit, Mason's teacher ticks me right off. Glad she was put in her place. And, you do inspire you with your victory lap. xo!
nikko said…
Awesome!

I would feel bad for the others, too. ;o)
Diane said…
Congratulations!! Well done. We're so happy for you.
lisa said…
Wow! Congratulations!
christy said…
Congrats you super busy crazy lady!
Marty said…
They picked the best person for the job! CONGRATULATIONS!
hooli said…
Congratulations. You are a good person.
Philigry said…
yay! good for you!
LaurenSmash said…
yay congratulations! :D
Stacey said…
Congrats...so happy for you, and your town! You are gonna be great!
randi said…
How awesome! Good for you!
Myrnie said…
Fantastic! Good luck :)
Karyn said…
I am so so proud of you Lera! Congratulations!
nikki said…
Which teacher? Was it Mrs. Huff?
Sean Gates said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said…
Whoo hoo!!!! So happy for YOU!!! And to think, we 'knew' you when! LOL!
Cindy Is Crafty said…
Congrats, Councilperson Lera! Way to go!
beki said…
Congrats! I thought about you all day yesterday :) You're an amazing woman, so I'm sure you'll be a fantastic councilwoman!!!
Alicia A. said…
Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray!
amy smart said…
Yea, Lera! Congratulations!
Amanda Jean said…
congratulations, friend! i'm so proud of you! it's nice to hear your thoughts on the whole deal, too. good for you!
Samantha said…
Congrats on winning the election. Some day I would love to be on the school board for my town--but I don't think they'll allow it...I am a teacher. And, I don't agree with that teacher. There is nothing unacceptable about those t-shirts!

Also, I know what you mean about wanting to tell your mom-mom. When my husband proposed to be, I immediately wanted to call my mom. But, she had passed away 2 months prior.

Anyway, good luck!
Kristi said…
yay for you!
Bonus Mom said…
Congratulations Councilman Lera :)
cici said…
congrats!

now get busy getting something done! lol
craftyclaire said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Congratulations Lera!! I am thrilled for you!!
Liz said…
Congratulations. I admire you for taking on this responsibility - I don't think I could do it. Good luck to you!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair