Owl-ing


I've had owls on the brain for a few days. I don't even know why. I think of owls as being more of an autumnal thing. Again, I don't know why except that owls and Halloween seem to go together. Maybe this cooler, wet, overcast weather has confused me into thinking it's fall and not spring.

I had to run a few errands yesterday during preschool and saw this plain, orange shirt on clearance. As soon as I saw it, I knew it needed an owl on the front. (If I could freezer-paper stencil, that would have been awesome.)

Jackson (the model with the Halloween finger that has been a prop in nearly every household prank lately) said the owl looks more like a tail-less cat in My Neighbor Totoro.


I've also been thinking about Mothers Day. I think I'm going to applique some pre-made canvas totes for my mother to use for shopping. While I was appliqueing the shirt, I decided to make some owl ones for my mother and myself while I had everything out.

I don't really know what else to give her. And I have no clue about my mother-in-law. Any creative suggestions?

Note: The Totoro-looking owl template is from here and the one perched on a branch is from here.

Comments

nikko said…
Cute owls!

Sadly, I think my mom and MIL are just getting cards this year. Sigh.
Marty said…
I don't know-my hubby thinks he and the guys in the family can just do a big barbecue for the ladies and somebody's house, but we all know that it turns into a huge amount of work for the women in spite of his good intentions!
FinnyKnits said…
I do love owls - those look especially good perched on branches. Nice!

I'm loaning myself out to my mom as cheap labor (I require lunch - which she is more than happy to provide). I hear I will be pulling weeds all the live long day.

My MiL? Likely - flowers. Although I'm looking for festive alternatives.
Machelle said…
Corn warmers are nice, especially if they are elderly. Just pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes. Tissue holders are nice
Machelle said…
oh and the owls are a hoot. I really like that idea.
Karyn said…
What do you mean IF you could freezer stencil...of course you can, you can do anything.

Cute owls. :)
lisa said…
Thanks for the links because I am still having problems finding any images that I like.

I wish I could applique
Lana said…
so cute!

the cooler wetter weather must be everywhere. And I am tired of it!
Anonymous said…
too cute, candidate!
martha's owl looks much frendlier without the eyes cut out.
my mother in law is getting some flowers. that's it. and a card. if my husband buys it.
have a good day!
Amanda Jean said…
the owls are cute!

i have NO suggestions for mother's day gifts, sadly. no idea whatsoever.
Stacey said…
those are adorable...i made an owl the other day too!

I think they are good luck! :)
Samantha said…
Both my mother and my husband's mother have passed away. So for mother's day we get flowers for their grave sites. Hubs has a step mother, but he's not close to her at all so we don't get her anything but a card. BUT, the reason I wanted to comment. Going with the general tote bag theme, can you make your MIL a morsbag? (www.morsbags.com) or a similar bag? Or, does she cook? Maybe some handmade pot holders? It's nice reading your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair