On Tuesday morning Sawyer and I went thrifting for a little bit while Spenser was in preschool. I went in looking for Pyrex (did not find anything I couldn't live without) and vintage sheets (nothing at all) and spied a very cool vintage, polyester dress. It had a very cool pattern all over it. I was drawn to it and kept coming back to look at it. However, it was several sizes too large.
I started looking around and found several more, but they were all too big, too. Disappointed (and still completely drawn to that first dress), I decided I would buy it anyway and another one. I figured I would try to alter the one I didn't like as much (the half-price vintage Alan Green pink dress above) before I attempted the other one.
Yesterday, as I was without internet all day, I decided to alter the pink dress. I think I tried this dress on a few dozen times before I finally sewed my first stitch. Which resulted in removal of said stitches. And a few more try-ons and a few more pinnings and a few more stitches and a few more stitch removals, etc. It was a long process. Finally, after a final basting and fitting, I serged it.
The darts in the chest are kind of at a funky location now, but I don't think it's completely terrible. After it was completely sewn, I added a fisheye dart on each side of the back zipper to make it a little more fitted in the waist.
I like this dress. Even if I look completely flat-chested in it. It's not too far from the truth.
I'm hoping to work on dress #2 this weekend.
* * *
I want to thank you for your sweet, supportive, and encouraging comments about the election. I am terribly excited to start working for town council. Unfortunately I don't get to swear in until our first meeting, Tuesday, May 26th, so I have to wait.