The I-Can't-Believe-I'm-So-Stupid Skirt

There were a few quiet moments yesterday where I wasn't cleaning chicken poop or kid poop and Spenser and Sawyer were sitting at the dining room table putting together puzzles. It was at that time I got the brainiac idea to sew a quick skirt. (Insert laugh at the quick skirt part.)

I grabbed some vintage fabric (which I think was supposed to be this dress, but I didn't have enough fabric) and got to work. It was going to be another simple Simplicity 7229 skirt, but something went awry. I sewed up the side seams and then it came time to press for the waist casing, I couldn't tell which end was the waist and which was the hem. After turning the skirt up and down about eight times, I realized when I sewed the side seams, I had sewn the top to the bottom and the bottom to the top. Nice job, moron.

So I had to cut off the seams completely because I had serged them and there was no way on this earth I was going to pick out all those stitches, even if this was the last little bit of this vintage fabric.

And so there you have it. The I-Can't-Believe-I'm-So-Stupid Skirt.

(I added a pocket, too, because I wore this dress to church on Sunday and kept asking myself, "Lera, why don't you add more pockets to your clothes?" and "Why don't you sew more non-print clothing to embellish?")

Comments

randi said…
Well, it looks like it worked just fine after all the hassle! I like the drawstring!
Myrnie said…
Looks cute, anyway :) I cut out half a circle skirt to make a wrap skirt,and forgot to add inches to the waist. My sister and I had a few head-scratching moments wondering why the skirt only went half-way around her waist. :o) (All from Sew What skirts.)
misschris said…
This makes me feel 100% better about all the time I lost last night wrangling with a sleeve, finally getting it attached in time to realize I had not sewn the 'right sides' together. grrrr.

Yours turned out cute though. I like the drawstring. I'm going to take this post as an omen that the rest of my project will go as well. xo
Stacey said…
turned out great though! I love the pocket and the drawstring!
FinnyKnits said…
Um, if only you were the only person to have ever done that.

This sounds like a good reason for me to not own a serger. I make too many mistakes. I tend to rip out half of what I sew before it's done.

Cute skirt though - I do like the drawstring and the pocket!
April said…
I've been trying to sew my first thing with an actual pattern for days now. yesterday I realized I somehow cut the back shoulder straps much shorter than the front, and in fact, they didn't even line up with the pattern. So I measured, drew out the piece, cut a piece of fabric and sewed it on, I thought no biggie the straps will have two seams. still didn't match. so, ok, I'll try it on and see if I can shorten it, and just fix this strap problem once and for all. I lined up the sides, and sewed. I then went to try it on....I sewed the sides up from the bottom to the top, which means I sewed the arm holes shut. thankfully I used a basting stitch. must have been a duh sewing day
Anonymous said…
*raising my hand to say it has happened to me as well*

cute skirt, Lera!
Amy said…
I think it's gorgeous! One of my favorite skirts you've made.
nikko said…
I've done stupid stuff like that, too. It usually happens when I'm trying to sew past my normal bedtime. HA ha ha...

It turned out cute!
Diya said…
Its good. I like it. I saw a tote tutorial in your site but am not able to find it now. Could you pl help me to locate it.
paperseed said…
Hah! Sewing projects do that to me all the time. The skirt ended up looking great, though!
Amanda Jean said…
it's a very cute skirt! i like how the pocket adds just the right finishing touch.
utmommy said…
Super cute!

I would've given up, cried,and thrown the skirt away.
dig this chick said…
adorable skirt....your one-time adventure is kinda like my every day sewing experiences. ha! ALTHOUGH I did make a maternity skirt for myself and I am so so proud that there was no seam-ripping and very little swearing! And, it's cute AND it fits. yay.

how do you make perfect, rounded pockets? I am sure there is some trick I don't know about, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair