Monday, May 19, 2008

Thrifted Treasures

I was actually a teensy bit crafty this weekend, but I can't show you just yet. I just didn't have time to finish because I became suddenly ill on Saturday evening and had to go straight to bed. (And I have a small school project that is due tomorrow for the boys, so I need to do that first. Priorities, I tell ya.)

Instead, I'll show you a couple more thrifted treasures. I love the colors in the old tin above. Red and aqua. And the drawings are so sweet. Unfortunately, the lid is too large for the tin. It doesn't matter though, I might force it on (it was on when I bought it). The bottom of the tin says "Bachman Bakeries Corp., Reading, PA," and there is an imprint of a pretzel.

And then I found this:


This book, Art of Dressmaking, by Butterick was published in 1927. It has some very useful information on shirring, facings, altering, etc., I found a short chapter on "Maternity Clothes" and had a good laugh. It says, "Maternity clothes have two objects: One is to make your condition unnoticeable, the other is to give you every physical advantage possible." Really? To conceal your "condition?" Too funny. So, I guess that means that T-shirts that say "BABY" with an arrow pointing to your belly are out? Darn! (And, just for the record, I did not own or wear such a shirt) And a useful tip on brassieres: "You should wear a brassiere that supports your figure and keeps it neat and trim." Neat and trim? Who wrote this book? They are hilarious!

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to show you something crafty. I can't make any promises though.

13 comments:

Gail :) said...

I am sorry to hear you were ill. The tin is adorable, and the book a classic :)

Little Munchkins said...

That book is hilarious. Shows how much has changed over the years, or decades as the case may be.

Emily said...

Wow, and the book is in Mint condition? 1927 - vintage?

Hope you are 100% recovered from whatever was bothering you......

preggers ?

Karyn said...

I hope you're feeling better now!

Cute tin. I bet that book is a HOOT to read! Good finds!

Tonya said...

LOL I get so big when I am pregnant, there is no way to make my *condition* "unnoticeable" Hilarious!

Love the tin, great colors.

Hope you are feeling better this morning.

amandajean said...

I would love to read that book. it does sound hilarious.

hope you are feeling better!

jessi said...

I love your tin! And the book is too funny! Ryan has a book on manners from his Grandma that is about as old - I should find it and blog a few of it's pieces of advice - it's hilarious!

Tori said...

Hope your feeling well now.
Your finds are great!

cici said...

i love that tin!

also...what physical advantage could there possibly be - not to mention that clothes could enhance - to said "condition"?

too funny!

hooli said...

Neat and trim? I'm guessing my post-kid rocks in socks look is NOT neat and trim.

Alicia A. said...

I hope you're feeling all better now!

Mirre said...

Too bad I didn't have that book when I was pregnant!

Robin said...

wow. i just bought this EXACT same tin at an estate sale last week. So funny - i wondered if the lid actually went with the tin. guess it does! it's so cute, isn't it? I have your tin's sister! :o)