Veggies from the Garden

So much yummy stuff is coming from the garden these days. These are the days that I love. Love, love, love.

I often eat roasted veggies for lunch and as a side for dinner. And sometimes on the same day. This day I had cherry tomatoes, sweet yellow peppers, potatoes, onions and jalapenos.

I can't simply get enough tomatoes or tomato sandwiches in my system. I love tomatoes on toasted bread with salt and mayonnaise. I don't use mayonnaise often, but it's almost a necessity on tomato sandwiches. However, that being said, have you ever tried it with homemade pesto? Wow. I don't know which I love more. Some days I wish my belly could hold more.

Last week (in the midst of our family room remodel) I roasted bunches of tomatoes both cherries and romas. I turned some into roasted tomato sauce that will be used in soups and such this winter.

I just roasted them and ran them through my food mill. (One of the food mills I used to make baby food.)

And homemade pesto and marinara sauce. I think this may have been the third batch of pesto I've made in recent weeks. I've frozen a bunch and look forward to a winter of homemade pesto. I made a simple marinara with olive oil, garlic, onions, cayenne pepper, and threw in a few whole basil leaves. For dinner I couldn't decide which one I wanted, so I had some of each. (It might look like a lot of food, but last week I was so busy working that I was averaging one meal a day.)

So, what veggies are you harvesting and what are you making with them? Do you have any new ideas for me? (Some critters ate all my squash, zucchini and pumpkin plants this year.)

Comments

lisa said…
We were so excited when we planted this year, because we did beans, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and beets. We fenced in our little raised garden, but apparently it wasn’t high enough for our rabbits. Our beans only have are bare two feet from the ground and the sweet potatoes are still there, but that’s it. Well, that in the six hot pepper plants my husband planted. We canned a bunch of salsa, but that’s it. I’m really sad about the beets. We are going to have to plan something else before we plant greens in the fall.
Melissa said…
I wish I did all of that! I am a gardening newbie. I just did a herb garden and patio tomatoes to begin with and we have just been using them in everyday meals.
I love you blog and I read it often!

Peaceful Wishes,
Melissa
www.thecutestchaos.blogspot.com
utmommy said…
YUMMMY!!!

I have zuchinni and squash coming out of my ears. I need recipes!! I'd love your homemade pesto recipe, sounds delish!
Amanda Jean said…
you eat tomato sandwiches EXACTLY the same way i do! i shouldn't be surprised, twin, should i?
Kris said…
Yummmmm, you make me want to rush out and plant vegies! We don't have any garden here in this house. Maybe I will try some planters! It will be spring here soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair