A New Room

Nearly two years ago I mentioned I wanted to get new sofas for our family room. I was waiting until the last of the children (Sawyer) was potty-trained. And then I waited until we had some extra money and well, here we are. With new furniture.

Getting new furniture isn't about only getting new furniture. It means new paint, new curtains, new pillows and throw blankets (those might be awhile), and everything else. Because surely you can't put new furniture in a room that has been lived in by six children. It would be sacrilege.

So, the four big boys were off to camp, again, this past week. (My mother jokingly says that I am trying to find every way to get rid of my children this summer, which is not true, but it seems to have worked out that way.) We wanted to surprise them with new furniture, so we ordered it and had it delivered while they were away. We made pinky promises with Spenser and Sawyer that they wouldn't tell the surprise to the boys when we picked them up on Friday.

So we painted walls and trim. Added a fancier baseboard moulding to the existing moulding. We hung and re-hung antique, cast-iron grates.

We spray painted a lot. This little clock used to be green, but it just didn't go with our new blue walls. We sprayed the new curtain rods black. I hemmed canvas painters drop cloths and "made" curtains out of them.


And we removed all of the toys from the family room and put the children's computer in the corner.

Joe even got fancy and installed new speakers in the ceiling.

And the kids were ecstatic when they saw it. There are still a ton of things that need to be done, like finding a new home for the elliptical/stationary bike; making pillows and finding a blanket (or quilt ?); painting a bookshelf; and caulking/painting some new trim. I'm sure it will be weeks until it is officially declared "finished."

Comments

beki said…
Wow, it looks very nice!!
Autum said…
It looks great! I love that shade of blue.
lisa said…
Cute! We just finished painting our kitchen. Next is replacing the floors. I know what you mean. It totally snow balls doesn't it.
christy said…
looks good! i want to paint a few accent walls in my living room and kitchen but have not gotten up the drive yet. gotta finish some other projects first.
nikko said…
Love it! Love the color, love the furniture! How fun that you were able to pull off the surprise!
FinnyKnits said…
Congrats! It looks beautiful! And new speakers, Joe? Big win, friend. That's awesome.
Brenda said…
Love the sofa and blue paint.
nikki said…
Gorgeous, Lera! Can't wait to sit on it! :)
Marty said…
It does snowball, Lisa. Hubs, who NEVER paints took it upon himself to paint the front bedroom, which led to a desk and bookcase bought at a yard sale; which led to new carpeting for both the front and back bedrooms-should be here next week. It'll be nice to have my office in that room-it will make more room in my living room. Oh, and I'll need a chair because I always watch TV in my office chair because my recliner isn't the best to knit in..........
Amy Siegert said…
Lera, it looks fantastic! I love the color and accent colors. And I absolutely adore how you made the curtains--great idea (and a heckuvalot cheaper I'll bet)!!
Amanda Jean said…
it looks incredible! i know what you mean about finishing the room completely. my bathroom remodel isn't quite complete from a year and a half ago. i still need to hang pictures and it needs a strip where the carpet and tile meet. otherwise it would be done. good luck finishing your room!
Irmhild said…
love the colours! Emm's room is painted a similar colour, but the curtains and knick knacks are bright cerise pink! our living room has a similar colour on the feature wall, but darker (the other walls are light grey) and in there i went for red accents! love those two colours together...

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair