This hat (that I gave to Joe for Valentines Day after Valentines Day) started off being a cowl. As I was knitting, I kept thinking that it looked more like a hat than a cowl. When I came close to finishing the cowl, I tried it on my head. And it fit. As a hat. I knew this was my chance to try the hat pattern that I had picked out for my first hat. (There's even a Youtube video on how to make it!) Lucky for me (it was really just luck, not skill), that the cowl circumference was identical to the hat circumference. And (because apparently I can't count), I had cast on 96 stitches for the cowl instead of 95, so I had my multiple of eight staring right at me in the face. It was destiny, I tell ya. It was meant to be a hat all along.
The hat ended up being a little long once I decreased enough to finish it. But, that's mostly because I was making a cowl and didn't want to frog this sucker any more than I already had up until that point.
I used dark brown and tan Patons Classic Wool. I was making random stripe widths, but once I established a little pattern, I decided to stick with it. I knit five rows dark, five rows light, nine rows dark, two rows light (repeat). I think I will have to use that stripe pattern again.
The leftover tan yarn has been used ... Tune in tomorrow to see what became of the tan.