Blowout


So a friend stopped by yesterday while I was making a batch of strawberry-rhubarb jam. I was trying to convince her how fun and easy it is to can your own fruits, veggies and jam.

I know I was a little distracted while I was working, because I was trying to carry on an adult conversation at the same time. So, when I noticed some random rhubarb floating around the water bath just seconds after dunking the jars, I wasn't worried. I assumed I was too distracted to remember to put a ring on one of the jars. When I pulled the jars out of the water, they all looked fine ... from the top. I dunked the jars again and I saw more rhubarb floating about. I pulled the jars back out and discovered that one of the jars had broken.


It was a clean break. Well, clean as is no miscellaneous shards of glass to contend with. Not clean as in a whole pint of strawberry-rhubarb jam floating around a pot of boiling water ...

I'm not sure if I convinced her how fun and easy canning is. I did tell her repeatedly that this was the first time I had a jar break like that. As much canning as I do, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Comments

Melissa said…
I love your blog! I have been following it for sometime now. I am amazed at how much you can do with 6 kids.

Peaceful wishes,
Melissa Jo
http://thecutestchaos.blogspot.com/
Marty said…
Yup, I've had a jar or two break. No big deal-just lose a bit of your yummy produce. I hope it didn't turn her off.
nikko said…
I've never had that happen before, either. At least the mess is all contained in the pot of water, right?

But then again, I'm so lazy I just turn my jars upside down and let them self-seal. So that would have been a mess. ;o)
Anonymous said…
i had a jar do that last year with grren beans in it. that was the first time ever that happened to me. i blame it on an "old" jar. remember all those jars we got for free last year??? i think it was one of those. oh well...not a big deal. me:)
lisa said…
You are still WAY ahead of me! I still haven't started on the salsa. Hopefully this weekend.
Anonymous said…
oh my!

p.s. i just realized that i never sent you a promised magazine - so sorry about that!!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair