I bought these two shirts in early spring thinking I would freezer-paper stencil them for Spenser and Sawyer. Yeah, that never happened. (Believe it or not, I have yet to try that technique.)
Yesterday I found these in my to-do pile and realized if I didn't let them wear them soon, they would outgrow them. I decided the quickest way to save these shirts was a simple applique. I wasn't thinking both Spenser and Sawyer begin with the letter S, but oh well.
I used the heavy-duty Heat 'n Bond that isn't supposed to require sewing. I've used it in the past and after a washing or two, it needed to be stitched down. I didn't stitch it down this time. I'm going to try my luck at it.
You may have surmised that I made Mason's 6 shirt for his birthday. I made it Monday night, as soon as he went to bed. I had terrible sewing machine/thread/tension problems that night and a project that should have taken five minutes to satin stitch took over an hour. I had to thread and rethread the machine and bobbin numerous times. Clean the shuttle. Replace the needle three times. Say a few not-so-nice comments to my machine, one that I was about to throw it out the window. And I was nearly close. (Until Joe told me he wouldn't buy me a new one if I did ...) All in all, I think it was bad thread. Up close the shirt looks pretty yucky and puckery. There are a lot of loose threads and bunchy tension spots on the inside and Mason said it tickles his body. I was so happy I finished it, I honestly didn't care if he wore it or not.
(Joe said the two S-shirts are "freaky bro and creaky fro." He doesn't care for them much.)