Framed Trees and Candy Cane Skirt

There are so many things that I've made and never blogged, including my Thanksgiving skirt and a skirt from before Thanksgiving. Here are two things I made before Christmas. I guess I'll worry about Thanksgiving some other time.

The day that I was nearly attacked by a deer in front of my house is the day that I made these Christmas trees. I was going to do a patchwork/quilted Christmas tree and then decided to keep it simple instead. So glad that I did because the other one probably would not have been finished. Even a month later.

I spray-painted this thrifted frame black (and in the process, broke the glass trying to put it back in). The trees are just appliqued on with a straight stitch along the edges. The trees and trunks came from my scraps. I found a bunch more that would have been cute (like some felted wool scraps for trunks, which would have been too thick if I had used the frame), but the frame was smaller than I had trees for. So a compromise was in order.

I like how the trees look "snow-covered" with the white in the fabric. The one on the far right is a vintage sheet.

And then I remembered that Spenser would need a new Christmas skirt or dress. I had a few ideas in mind, but ultimately settled on a ruffle skirt.

I sewed ruffled red and white tulle in lines across a piece of white fabric. And then I sewed the skirt up the side (matching up the ruffles) and gave it a quick hem and elastic casing.

I love the skirt. I really should have made one for myself. (Sadly, there was no time for Lera to sew herself a skirt for Christmas this year.)

Comments

Autum said…
Precious skirt! You can applique a heart on a white tee for a valantine's day outfit (and that gives you some extra time to make mama one too!)
Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
Aren't you glad you have a little girl? Once they're out of diapers boys are not a lot of fun to dress.
Jenny
Cindy Is Crafty said…
Lera, that skirt is candy sweet! Love it! I like the heart and Valentine idea.
Myrnie said…
What a sweet skirt!
Amy Siegert said…
Oh Lera, you are so creative. What a cute skirt!! Go ahead and make yourself a matching one for Valentine's Day. You have the slim figure to wear it! (Alas, horizontal ruffly stripes would not flatter my figure at all.)
FinnyKnits said…
I could die seeing how cute she is with the skirt AND THOSE TIGHTS!

You have such a girly girl - too fun.
Brenda said…
I love the skirt. Very festive.
Bonus Mom said…
Great skirt!!! I had been wodering how tulle ruffles would look all the way up a skirt and you gave me an answer, ADORABLE!!! Spenser looks super cute in it too!
utmommy said…
Very cute!
randi said…
What a cute skirt! Aubry would wear it everywhere. No joke!

Now I am off to read your deer story...:)

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair