Waiting for My New Stove


Thank you for all of your birthday wishes for Sawyer. Y'all are sweet.

Yesterday morning I took Sawyer (in his new fall outfit) to have his portrait taken. He didn't want to smile. He smiled one-half of a smile in one photo. In the rest of the photos he just stared at the crazy lady trying to make him smile. Oh well. I bought him a soccer ball while we were out (because I forgot to give him his present in the morning before the kids left for school and Joe left for work).

Last night to celebrate we had blueberry muffins, Dibs (just because they were in the freezer) and Combos (just because they were in the cabinet). Then he opened his present. We're having a little family get-together on Sunday afternoon at our house.

Today I'm getting a new stove. Our "old" stove is only six years old. In the above photo you see an empty spot on our wall. There used to be a kitchen cabinet there (a KraftMaid custom cabinet) ... until Sunday when it broke apart and fell off the wall!

All I can say is Thank Goodness!!! that no one was injured. Taylor and I were standing there when it happened. The other children were eating lunch and Sawyer was napping (another Thank Goodness!!!). Taylor jumped out of the way and it landed where he was standing. It also landed in the very spot Sawyer eats when he's in his highchair. If he hadn't been napping ... I don't want to think about it. It makes me sick. Sick!

When it fell, the cabinet door did this:

to our ceramic-top stove. Ouch! We didn't even notice it at first. There were a lot of frightened children and there was food and glass (and bits of cabinet) everywhere. It wasn't until I was going through the debris on the floor that I noticed a strange object on the floor. It looked like glass. It felt like glass. But it had a funky speckled pattern on it ... Then it hit me. It was the stove top.

On the counter below the cabinet sits our 9" TV/VCR unit. At first I was very thankful that the cabinet missed the TV completely. Now I wish it would have hit the TV and missed our stove. It would have been less costly that way.

Comments

Karyn said…
I hope Sawyer had an awesome birthday!

And...what a disaster (the falling cabinet). What a relief that nobody got hurt!!!!
Katie Jean said…
yikes! That must have been scary! Thank goodness no one was hurt!

I hope the birthday boy had a fun day!
beki said…
Oh my goodness! Thank goodness no one was injured. You were definitely being looked over that day.
christy said…
so was it the fault of the cabinet or was it not installed with the proper screws with large enough heads so that the sheer strength is enough to withstand the weight? I would be making the cabinet company pay for everything if it's their fault. If it's the fault of the installer go after him, although it may be joe then i guess maybe you could file on your home owners insurance.
glad no one was hurt but i can feel the stress for you. it's just not a happy situation.
Anonymous said…
Yowsa! Will insurance cover any of that? And what Christy said. If it was poorly installed, I'd contact the cabinet company - and check all the other cabinets as well. Thank goodness you were all safe!
Heidijayhawk said…
glad sawyers bday went well!! sigh about your stove.
Anonymous said…
Wow, its a miracle no one was hurt! Bummer that you have to replace your range and everything. Hope Sawyer had a happy birthday--He sure is a cutie!
Chara Michele said…
Oh my goodness! Good thing no one was hurt!

Hope Sawyer's birthday was good! :)
Lora said…
oh gosh! glad no one was injured!! Happy birthday Sawyer!
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your stove. That really stinks. Good thing Sawyer was sleeping. Cute fall outfit!

BWW
FinnyKnits said…
That's like a hundred close calls right there. Sheesh! Glad everyone made it out of there safely.

So, Kraftmaid you say? That's the same as my cabinets and now I'm nervous they're all going to start crashing down.

Who installed them?

I'm going to go home and freak out now.
Amanda Jean said…
Oh, my! Thank the Lord for keeping you all safe. that could have been one scary accident. glad that it wasn't more serious than the stove. yikes.
utmommy said…
Good thing your stove was the only that got hurt.
Me and Him said…
Glad everyone is okay.

I like Sawyer's gift. I like the name of the store better...gummylump.com!
Oh my! What a thing to happen. I am glad no one was hurt.

Hope you all have lots of fun on Sunday.
nikko said…
I can't believe that your cabinet fell off the wall! If it were me I'd be calling the people who installed it.

Hey, at least you get a new stove out of the deal. ;o)
Brandy said…
What is it with falling cabinets LOL?! Hope your new stove arrives soon and works even better than the old one. That's what I keep telling myself about my sewing machine. Thank goodness Sawyer was napping and no one was hurt!
Anonymous said…
That's kinda cruddy. Sorry about the stove. Sorry about Sawyer getting all big and grown up. I guess that one just has to happen.

My DH said that my DS2 couldn't have anymore birthdays. Everytime one comes around, we have to buy a big appliance. On the other hand, I now have a new fridge and hot water heater. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair