On Friday, while Spenser was at the fair with Joe, I took advantage of Sawyer's afternoon nap time. He needs some new fall outfits.
I found some long-sleeved onesies on clearance over the summer and stocked up. I even splurged and cut into my Japanese stash, and it felt good. The fabric is Counting Kids from Superbuzzy. The pants are linen (in natural #30). I bought the linen this summer, but the color was little darker than I wanted for the intended project. I think it's a perfect shade for autumn.
The blue vintage button is a cover up. As I was using my pinking shears to cut the seam allowances, I clipped a big hole in the front of the pants. Déjà vu. Using stitch witchery, I adhered a scrap piece of linen to the front and the back (to prevent raveling) and then satin-stitched around the scrap. The button is used for camouflage, but I think I like it.
Feeling cocky, I started another outfit for Sawyer, out of brown corduroy from my stash. I killed my machine. Loud noises. Refusal to work. Messages flashing ("Safety device activated"). I changed the needle. Cleaned the shuttle (about five times). Reinserted the bobbin (about five times). Lowered the feed dogs ... well, just because I had the manual right there and had never done it before so I thought it was a perfect time to try, except now the feed dogs are stuck down. It still won't work. I called the company where I bought it and they are shipping a new machine to me today. Another déjà vu.
However, I'm in the middle of a very important project that must be finished by tomorrow. No exceptions. I have to get my old machine from the attic.