Spiders

I had an off day yesterday.

Let's see. First, I was so engrossed in watching Emily Yeung that I didn't realize the diaper I was changing was messy until after I had finished. In my defense, he already had a messy diaper and I thought the faint odor was either a residual smell or one coming from the trashcan. (After all, I had just nursed him and didn't smell anything at all.)

Then I was called to spider-killing duty. Not one of my favorite jobs. In fact, it probably pulls a close second to cleaning up barf (or being in the same room with barf or anything barf-related). The spider was on the screen of our French doors. As I tried to kill it, it fell and the crunchy body hit my hand on the way down. I screamed bloody murder. And the door was wide open. I'm sure I scared a few innocent bystanders. I know my children were frightened.

And then I went to Bride's Night. To keep Sawyer quiet, I stuffed him with Cheerios (which he dumped no less than five times). At the very end of the night before I left, I realized I had dried, already-chewed Cheerios in my hair and on my shirt. And then I noticed my shirt was on backwards. Yep. All night I wore my shirt backwards. That's me. (I think I scraped off the Cheerios remnants off the back of my shirt and it won't leave a stain.)


It was in the midst of all this chaos that I needed a much-needed moment of accomplishment. Since both Sawyer and Spenser were awake (and busily playing together), I decided I should crochet, being as how I can't knit.

I crocheted a little wire spiderweb. Last year Shirley sent me the cutest pair of spiderweb earrings that she had made. They are so incredibly cute and I knew that I would love to make a necklace for Spenser. It was just enough crafting for me to restore my sanity and feel like I accomplished something more than diaper changing (which I can't do properly), laundry, dishes, killing spiders, and other household chores.

The "spider" is four strands of black embroidery floss tied in a knot. The four strands become the eight spider legs. Pretty clever, that Shirley.

Comments

nikko said…
Wait a minute.. You hate spiders, so to unwind you make a spiderweb?!?

;o)
laura capello said…
omg, what a day.
Karyn said…
Your shirt was on backwards all night???? LOL!! Love that Lera!

And, the spiderweb is BEYOND adorable! I love it! (It must have been tricky to do).
Anonymous said…
i know all about residual smell@ i thought it was just us that used that smell! :)
Amanda Jean said…
I don't mind killing spiders (certainly not my favorite pass time or anything) but I am so with you on the barf thing. ew.
Heidijayhawk said…
spiders are pretty high on my list of thing i DON'T do. i am impressed that you even attempted it.
beki said…
Oh dear, just one of those days. At least you made a cute little spider web!
Chara Michele said…
oh my what a day! i hate spiders...

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair