Planting

Our garden is in, but somehow we just can't stop planting stuff and preparing stuff to plant. Our garden flopped big time last year. This year we are determined not to let that happen again.

We moved our garden to a different and, hopefully, more sunny spot in the yard. (Darn mature trees that line our property.) The new spot is closer to the water source. And it helps that Joe and his father got plumbing out to our barn now. The garden is smaller this year, which I hope is more manageable.

My herb garden has been in for awhile. Some critters have eaten almost all of my basil (my dill and one of my jalapeno plants), so we are planting more and are in the process of scaring away the critters. Apparently, they like to feast on marigolds, too, so our first solution did not work. Human hair has been working. Joe cut the boys' hair a few weeks back and we sprinkled the herb garden with hair clippings. Seems to be working for us so far.

I planted rhubarb last week. Apparently the stuff I had hoped was rhubarb wasn't rhubarb. (I was visiting a friend's garden and saw the same thing growing at the base of her tree and she said it was a weed.) I ordered four rhubarb plants on eBay and I'm hoping they survive. Luckily we have an endless supply of chicken poop for fertilizer.

This morning Spenser and Sawyer were ready to plant some more seeds. We started four more basil plants, four chamomile, four more fennel bulbs, six spinach and nine poppies. We have seed starts all over the place. And the kids have loved helping and watching.

What are you growing? And how are you involving your children?

Comments

lisa said…
We have sweet potatoes, straight neck squash, tomatoes, carrots, green beens, and beets. Oh, and container tomatoes and assorted hot peppers in pots. We put up wire around our raised beds because I refused to let Hubby hurt our wild bunnies. It seems to be working so far.

We tried letting little guy help, but all he wants to do is dig . . . where ever you are so I was always afraid he would git hit. I think we will let him pick the vegetables if we get any.
Roxanne said…
We are mostly just growing herbs and a couple tomato plants. (I'm 30 wks pregnant and am not fooling myself into thinking I'm going to take care of much else!) My daughter picked out all the flowers we put in pots this year. She is hoping to attract butterflies to our yard, so we researched which flowers they like and she helped plant them in pots. It's so fun to see how excited she is about it all!
Cindy Is Crafty said…
Lera,
Not sure what might be munching, but my Mom planted a line od dusty miller around our house to keep the mice away. And it worked!
I live in a city and have a tiny yard but I have tons of tomatoes and squash and for the first time, 2 different eggplants. I just decided I now like them. And onions and herbs. I had strawberries but the darn squirrels ate them. Ugh. Oh and peas- I'm excited as I've never seen a fresh pea.
FinnyKnits said…
Ooh nice!! Always good to plant lots of seeds *just in case* something chews a few in the process.

I don't have kids to get into the gardening game, but I did take a friend to the nursery to pick out vegetables for her garden (on her request, she wanted to get "the same exact tomatoes" I grow) and I have given away lots of seedlings to neighbors. Everyone grow cucumbers!

I won't bore you with the list of plants, since you see it all on my blog, but I am excited to say that the purple podded pole beans are starting to blossom and WEIRD their blossoms are pink instead of white.

Fun times.

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair