Monday, June 25, 2007

Virtue Bunting


At church I work in the Young Women's program. It's very intimidating to me. I've served in the children's program [for many, many years (before I had children) but children are more forgiving if you don't know what you're doing]. I've served in the women's program (I am a woman, I could relate). I have not been in the Young Women's program since I was a young woman. That's what's intimidating.

Last night I had to give a lesson on virtue, our theme for this year. This lesson had me totally freaking out. I don't know why I let these things stress me out like they do. It happens every time I have to teach or talk in front of people. Even though I did a ton of research prior to writing my lesson, I sat down and worked on my lesson on Monday night from 9:00 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. and then throughout the day on Tuesday. Oh, and did I mention it was a 5-10 minute lesson? Yes. Stress. That's what happens to me. And did I mention that I usually get so nervous that I speak a mile a minute and no one can understand me? I don't think that happened last night. I'm trying to get better at that. (Deep breaths. Deep breaths.)

Anyway, to go along with my lesson, I made a virtue bunting to hang up for display. At some point in the near future, it may be on our bulletin board at church. It wasn't the best sewing job, so I may not even admit that I made it. lol. However, I used what I had, so it's headed for flickr.

Thoughts for the day:

1- Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

2- ...let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly...

13 comments:

Karyn said...

Your banner is awesome and I'm sure your lesson was too. :) :)

nikko said...

Having a YW calling would intimidate me to no end. So glad I'm in Primary instead. :o)

Your lesson will be great!

capello said...

speaking in front of people makes me want to hurl.

kirsten said...

yay! i really relate to the lesson planning - i have to be SO prepared or i freak out. and i used to talk a mile a minute, too, but i think that's gotten better.
very cute bunting - what a nice visual!

beki said...

I'm sure you did a fine job. I'd be totally stressing out too ;-)

utmommy said...

I LOVED being in YW!!

Your banner is darling and I'm sure they loved it and your lesson!

nicole said...

I love to visit your site...
why on earth do you get involved in things like that? You are a mother of 6...isn't it enough? As a mother of 5, ( 5 in 5 years) I think mothers must preserve herselves!

Nicole said...

Please, read my comment whith concern! I am not critisising!
It is just that having been through bringing up five children I know how we can feel!!
My children are now 26, 24 and three are aged 21...

Cici said...

i'm sure you did fine. your banner is lovely, anyway - so even if you didn't you had them staring at a lovely rendition of the word virtue, anyway. either way, you got them! lol!

Jen said...

It is beautiful and you did a wonderful job! Just another check in the super woman box on you life application!

linda said...

Well, it certainly seems like a young woman's group could appreciate the bunting. Very cute. I'm horrible and leading Bible studies and stuff like that. I'm also nervous and WAY over prepared - so much so that I say things wrong if that makes any sense.

I hope you get some positive feedback from the ladies. I'm sure they appreciated you!

Heidijayhawk said...

awesome bunting baby! i'm sure you are an awesome YW leader!!!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I just made my first baby bunting as part of a gift. I don't think I had ever even heard of it until I started reading blogs a few months ago. I love love the pinks and greens.

Hope the lessons get less stressful for you. I used to teach Sunday School and felt accomplished if I could get my kids (3 and 4 year olds) to sit for a 5 min craft. We had so much fun though. :)