Bonnet & Apron


So I finally made (and sent) Alana's Halloween costume. Actually, I did it the same day I posted that it needed to be done. I guess it was the guilt that got me.

Alana had texted me in early September asking me to make her a bonnet and apron because she wanted to be the Sun-Maid Raisin girl for Halloween. However, in early September she neglected to tell me that she had three costume parties in September. I really thought I had time to make it. I mean, after all, it's not like I sit around on my tush all day long. I do have a family and a busy life like everyone else.

So, yes, the guilt got me and I really had to get it done and over with and worry about my own children's Halloween costumes. I must admit that I was a little grumbly when I started cutting and sewing that day. I used an old pattern for the bonnet, but somehow the directions were missing. It wouldn't have been so bad, but there were several hat patterns on the same pattern and I couldn't figure out which pieces I needed. I eventually found the instructions in a very odd place, which I entirely credit the Lord in helping me find. Because, as I was completely stressing out, I had a "vision" of some instructions in a cabinet in our red room. I went immediately to the cabinet and looked for them, and they weren't there. But I "saw" them again, so I kept looking. I found them, smooshed and crumbled behind the karaoke machine. Seriously, no human could have known where they were. I quickly thanked the Lord, humbled, and began my project.

Like I said, I was grumbly when I was making this. I had a million things on my to-do list that needed to be done. When I was putting on the finishing touches, a very strong impression came to me. It was Kristen's birthday. I knew that earlier in the day (as documented in my blog post), but the reality of what I was doing, for Kristen's daughter, really hit me hard. I was doing this for Kristen's daughter on Kristen's birthday because Kristen isn't around to do it. And then I think I cried a little bit. Humbled, once again, in my personal imperfections and the perfection in the Lord. It was meant to be.

(Alana has since attended two more costume parties. Unfortunately the costume didn't arrive in time for the first one, but she wore it for the second one. She won "top three" for her costume.)

Comments

Diane said…
It's wonderful! She'll always remember this costume, that her Aunt made her... It's great to check in and see how you're doing. Fantastic knitting too. The orange hat will match your candy corn bag :) Happy belated Birthday!!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair