The Year of the Tote Continues


So many spring birthdays have popped up in the past 2 weeks. First, my sister, Emily. Then my sister, Lisa. And my friend, Brinda. And finally, my sister-in-law, Brenda.

Back in January, I declared it "the year of the tote," as I was planning to gift tote bags for all birthdays. It has kept me busy the past week or so. But, now that the birthdays have passed, and the totes have been gifted, it's time to talk about them. (Can't spoil the surprises ahead of time, can we? Especially since they read my blog.)

When I'm sewing gifts for others, I try to keep in mind their likes, dislikes, and personalities as much as possible. From left. My friend, Brinda, is very quiet and shy and probably wouldn't want to carry a flashy tote, so her tote is pretty and floral. My sister, Emily, on the other hand, is an extrovert and has a wild streak that I love. She got the funky, retro Alexander Henry "Mocca" fabric that makes me smile. My sister, Lisa, has a flair for fashion, so she rightly deserves the bag with purses and shoes. And Brenda, my sister-in-law, loves the Smurfs. She has the whole vintage glass collection. When I came across that Smurf fabric, I knew it was destined for Brenda. Happy birthday, friends and sisters.

And another birthday tote for Joe's niece, Ellie, who had a birthday party on Saturday. We gave her a floral tote, a Martha Stewart dish towel apron, and some Hello Kitty lip gloss, nail polish, etc.

And just more proof that not all projects go smoothly. I won't even go into detail about all the issues I had with this Smurf tote. Just when I thought it was finally finished (and I was singing praises), I noticed a stick pin sticking out of the side. Unfortunately, the head of the pin was too large to fit through the outside, so the bag had to be partially disassembled for the (ahem) third time to remove it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
love, love, that smurf tote! what amazing fabric!

i'm sure the gifts are all loved!
beki said…
Dontcha just hate that? I've left many a pins in things that had to be ripped apart! Everything looks great Lera :)
Jen said…
The totes, the ties, the skirts....how do you find the time. I am truely amazed that you make all these wonderful creations and still have time for your 6 babies! I am impressed!
laura capello said…
hey, it sounds like i made that tote!
Karyn said…
I love the tote bags!!! Awesome!
Katie Jean said…
First of all, I can't believe you have smurf fabric! That is so awesome. Secondly, do you never sleep? You are amazing with all that sewing! I love this dishtowel apron.
African Kelli said…
Those totes are just great Lera! You are fueling my creativity today. I've got so many more ideas after stopping by here.
I hope your Easter was wonderful. Your family is just too sweet for words!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair