Thursday, April 26, 2007
Sewing for Sawyer
Last night (after the children were in bed), I started to sew. I find I have to keep myself busy while Joe is away or I start hearing noises and get scared in this big, old, semi-haunted house of ours.
I sewed a "sacque" from a vintage pattern (or a jacket, as I would call it), which I've made before. The fabric is new, not vintage. As I was sewing it, all I could think about was green olives. That's what the fabric reminds me of.
The sacque is lined in white cotton (although the pattern did not call for lining) and has a red, vintage button closure. The neck is gathered which I think adds cute detail. I needed to alter the pattern slightly, because it was newborn size and Sawyer, at 7 months, is far from newborn size. It also called for bias tape around the neckline and for ties, which I didn't love. The sleeves are supposed to be 3/4 length, so it should be nice and springy. Hopefully it will fit him.
And Tuesday night I finished his orange polka dot outfit. I cut out one leg of his pants on Friday, during his catnap and then he woke up. I worked on it in small increments until I finished it late Tuesday night. He only got to wear it for about 1/2 hour on Wednesday morning, after his bath, before he had another diaper explosion, which resulted in a second bath. Luckily, all stains were removed and it's as good as new. (And that's a goldfish, in case you couldn't tell.)