I Am Ashamed

I was invited to a cookie exchange yesterday. After pondering all the different cookies I could make, I finally settled on one.

As I mixed the ingredients on Friday afternoon, I noticed how dirty and yucky my can of baking powder was. Out of curiosity, I turned over the can to see how old it was ...

In case you can't see it, the expiration date says "20 Aug 96." It expired before Taylor was even born! With the assumption that baking powder has a decent shelf-life, I am guessing that this can was bought before Joe and I were even married, in 1995.

Where has it been lurking all this time? I know not. We bought our first house in 1995. Bought our current house in 2000, and moved to Ohio for a year and a half in the interim. And I know that I've had other baking powder cans since then. I guess it's either moved around a lot or sat around a lot.

In case you were wondering, the cookies turned out.

Maybe a little too good.

Note to self: Buy baking powder. Immediately.

(Remember my little local grocery store with the outdated goods? Well, they went out of business two weeks ago, unrelated to their outdated goods. I couldn't even make a quick dash to buy more.)

Comments

So I'm not the only one!! Good!
A couple months ago I was cleaning out the spice shelves, I found a jar of bay leaves and some cinnamon bark that had been in there since we got married... 1994!!
yuck. They promptly went in the trash.
Anonymous said…
I was also wondering about baking powder's shelf life. When we did our cookie exchange, I happened to look at mine and it said exp. 2003 I thought that was bad.
Lisa said…
I had the same experience this weekend- baking powder that expired in the 90s! I used it anyway and the cookies are fine.
misschris said…
Clearly it has staying power. :) But you might buy some more, just in case. LOL
Chara Michele said…
Too funny :)
nikko said…
Wow. That must be some awesome baking powder. :o)
he he he... I've found many spices that I have had FOREVER. They all work fine and we haven't died yet.
Karyn said…
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...those cookies look so good! (even though they were made with antique baking powder) :)
Liz said…
Sounds like my kitchen - my husband says I practice faith-based food preservation...
Lora said…
LOL!! Brent and I got married in 1995. Our family had a "pack the pantry" shower for us. We STILL have an unopened can of sauerkraut. It has moved from house to house with us and even moved from KY to NH! I doubt we'll EVER eat it.
Jessica said…
That's so funny! I think I have some cornstarch that is at least that old, if not older! I think everyone has something or other that's beyond its prime lurking in their pantry!!!
I also forgot to mention to you the other day ~ I saw that our local Albertson's carries the Cherry Chip Cake Mix. They often run super sales on Betty Crocker where I can get cake mixes for less than $1. Let me know the next time you are having a craving and I'll stalk the sales for you! :)
Amanda Jean said…
ha! my husband and I were looking in our pantry this afternoon and we found a can of lemon filling that we've probably had for at least 10 years. and I'm not sure WHY i haven't thrown it out yet. it's moved with us 4 times now...
Anonymous said…
hi lera...it's been a while!
i liked this baking powder story. it's amazing how you buy something and then find it in the pantry expired. i always think, "gawd, i just bought this. was it that long ago?"
hope you had a good christmas :)
Michelle said…
Oh my!! That is too funny!
I am a military wife so we move every couple/three years and sometimes I'll look at something and say "I've had that since we lived in _______!"

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair