Jersey Infinity Cowl Scarf *TUTORIAL*


I have a thing for things around my neck. I like to wear necklaces, and often play with them subconsciously. I like to wear cowls and scarves to keep my neck warm. (I'm always cold. You turn 40 and your problems and idiosyncrasies grow over night. Just wait. You'll see. And don't say I didn't warn you.)

I had a little bit of gray jersey left over from various projects and thought I'd sew it together to make an infinity cowl/scarf. It was so quick and easy that I decided to make another one and take you along for the ride. Hold on tight. Well, not really. It's not that long of a ride. You can probably even ride without your seat belt, if you're daring.

This is what you'll need:

1/4 yard of jersey/knit (60" wide)
ballpoint needle for your sewing machine*
coordinating thread and bobbin
(and sewing needle for hand sewing opening closed)


With fabric right sides together, sew along the long edge starting 5/8" from top.

Sew the entire length of the fabric. All 60" of it.


BUT, stop short 5/8" at the end. (Like in the beginning.)


Slide your arm through the tube and pull right side out.


With right sides together, making sure not to twist the cowl (unless you are attempting a moebius scarf), match the seams and pin.

Starting right before seam, sew the short ends together (right sides together) until you can't sew any further.


It will look crazy and twisted (and feel tight), but that's okay.

Turn in raw edges and hand sew the opening shut with needle and thread.

Now try it on! (I always put the hand-sewn seam on the inside of the scarf and place it on the back of my neck.)


You can wear part of it on top of your head, like a snood. You can even wear it when you run outside to tend the chickens in the freezing rain. You can wear it around the house when you're 40 and freezing. (Or, ahem, 41, and freezing.)

*I could have used my serger for this, but the serger and I are fighting again. She wants to stay unthreaded and I want her to stay threaded. She's winning this battle. We're taking a little break from each other. So, in the meantime, I'm trying to make her jealous.

Comments

nikko said…
Honestly, I don't have much use for such a thing in the approaching Texas spring/summer, but it is SO cute. Maybe winter next year? The weight of jersey (vs a heavy knitted scarf) must be perfect. And I love your little blond braids. Cute cute cute.
FinnyKnits said…
*in sing-song-y voice* Totally MAKING it!

Love...
Chara Michele said…
I am definitely going to make one of these! I am always cold & I have a ways to go before I reach 40 :)

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair