I Survived Halloween!



As of 2:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon, I had not done a thing for Halloween. I hadn't carved the pumpkin (that I had only bought at 11:30 a.m.). I hadn't decorated (except for putting the pumpkins that grew in our front yard on our steps that are too short and squatty to carve). So I had to kick into high gear.

I love Halloween. It's one of my most favorite days of the year. But, this year, the baby has really thrown me through a loop. I have felt so unproductive for the past five weeks. Most days I feel like I can't get my act together. And I'm exhausted, which makes me grumpy (but you already know that), and Joe is out of town. But, knowing that Halloween is such a fun time for kids, I felt obligated to do something for them.

I hung a blacklight on our porch, hung up a glow-in-the-dark skeleton (which really stood out in the blacklight), hung up our fall garland, swept off the leaves, and a few other odds and ends. I felt a lot better afterwards. And they were excited when they came home from school.

Plus it was Sawyer's first Halloween. I hadn't planned on dressing him up, but I didn't want him to be left out. So, he wore a bumblebee costume that was Mason's.



Here the kids are waiting for Grandma and Pop-pop to take them Trick or Treating. (I stayed home with the baby to give out candy.)

This is what Sawyer thought of handing out candy.


And these were some of the things my children brought home:

candy cigarettes (WHAT???? Helloooooo!)

Holy Bible erasers

scriptures on paper

stickers

Play-doh

It was fun, but I'm happy it's over.

Comments

christy said…
i didn't think they still made candy cigarettes. isn't that illegal now a days? i'm pretty sure it is. is there a manufacturer label on those. I would call somebody about that. I used to eat those all the time as a kid and pretend to be smoking. my mom hated it but didn't take them from me. anyway funny they get those and then also to the other extreme odd treats from religious zealots.
Anonymous said…
I didn't think that they made those anymore either. I was looking for them a few years ago for a costume, but couldn't find them.
It must just be your town.
Anonymous said…
Oh, they still make them. I've seen them at Mr. Bulky's.

That's sort of weird stuff to get. Stick with the old standbys, people. Snickers. M & M's. Candy corns. Maybe even those chewy peanut butter things wrapped in orange and black paper.
Anonymous said…
Wow, what a wide range! So wierd to see the candy cigarettes juxtaposed with the Holy Bible. And here I was just commenting to my hubby last night (as we picked through the munchkin's "loot") how candy hasn't changed since we were kids (lots of Hershey's, snickers, pixie sticks, etc out here). I like the idea of play doh!
laura capello said…
holy bible erasers? so we can erase the scriptions of our lord jesus christ?

i bet those were handed out with the candy ciggies.

that's my kind of house.

(meh. not really. that's a little over the top, even for me.)

(and your sith lord in the black cape SHOULD NOT be carrying a green light saber! red only!)
beki said…
Candy cigarettes? That made me laugh oiut loud. I used to love those things, even they are so non pc these days.
Holy Bible erasers? That's a new one. I did get a bunch of kids knock on the door to give ME some bibles and a pack of lifesavers. Okaaay.
African Kelli said…
Candy cigs are a definite no-no, but I really like the playdough and school supply idea. It's the public health in me that hates the sugary madness of Halloween.
Your bumblebee sure is a sweetheart.
Anonymous said…
Wow! You really did kick it into high gear! Good for you!

And what an *interesting* haul your children made. We got pencils with an eraser on each end that said "Without Jesus there is no Point"... I would expect that at Trunk or Treat, but not downtown.

Anywho... your baby boy is the bee's knees. :)
Jen said…
I saw the playdough at the store the other day...it had some witty comment on the bag..although I cannot remember it!

I am going to have to bring the kids to U.B. to trick or treat...you've got some interesting people up there!
Anonymous said…
Interesting assortment of treats(?) there...I haven't seen the cig.s in a loooong time. hmmm.
good for you on getting the porch into gear and the children look great. ;-)
Anonymous said…
How handy you are. I just think your creations are great. And your diligence taking care of your kids is wonderful. What a great mother you are. What a great wife. Syracuse is cold without you.
Anonymous said…
What an interesting assortment of goodies. I think the play-doh was a great idea, I'll have to remember that for next year. Great job on the porch!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair