Autumn Fun

Yesterday Spenser and I went on a field trip with her preschool to a pumpkin farm. This was her first time to ride a school bus. She loved it every minute of it.

We learned about pumpkins, squash, corn, soybeans, hay, straw, and honey. I think this was the fifth time I have been to that same place for preschool field trips. (My mother went with Mason two years ago because I had just given birth to Sawyer.)

We went through a straw maze. There were so many rambunctious, mostly unsupervised preschoolers (from another group) that it was difficult to make it through without stepping on someone. This was the only photo of many that didn't have other children trying to cut around her or trying to plow me down when I stopped.

After the field trip, we took the opportunity to make a few Halloween decorations. I had seen in the Matthew Mead Halloween book the idea of spray painting a pumpkin with chalkboard paint. I loved this idea. After three stores, I finally found the spray paint at Michaels (Walmart, Target, and Lowes do not carry it in spray paint). I also picked up a faux pumpkin at Michaels that was half off, instead of using a real one, like in the book.

The kids love it. In fact, he has a face on the front (drawn by Spenser) and "Booooo" on the side (written by Mason) and maybe a thing or two on the back.

So the indoor decorations are coming together slowly. But it's the outdoor decorations the boys can't wait for. Since October 1st, they ask every day about decorating our front porch. With the strobe light. And black light. And fog machine. And the glow-in-the dark skeleton. And encasing the front porch in black plastic. It's going to be a spooky one ...

Comments

LunaMoonbeam said…
Ooh...that pumpkin is such a good idea! The little "Funkins" are on such a good sale at JoAnn's...maybe I'll have to go get one for BBJ. :-)
Karyn said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karyn said…
Spenser IS the cutest thing ever, I'm glad she like the bus ride!

And, that pumpkin is incredible. Really. Scary.
Kris said…
No wonder your boys can't wait to decorate outside! Sounds creepy!
Stacey said…
Love her candy corn barrette!
Liz said…
I LOVE the chalkboard pumpkin idea! It looks great.
Erica said…
You've inspired me to get my Halloween things out this weekend...thanks! :-)

Erica
Amanda Jean said…
oh, my word. how cute is little spenser in the bus with her candy corn clip?!?!? looks like a very fun day.

I love the pumpkin idea, too.
Michelle said…
Ooo...can't wait to see a picture of the porch! We haven't done ours either, the tub has been brought from the shed, but here it sits....maybe today!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful owl collection. I've been making a few Halloween decorations but nothing has gone up yet.
Leciawp said…
Fun photos! I love the owl in the last picture - and the candy corn barrette!
Diane said…
Crafty good idea!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair