A New Gadget

Joe's been traveling a lot. He was away all of last week, returning for the weekend and then left again Monday morning. He'll be coming home today and "going out of town" again Monday morning. The best part about his trip next week? He's only going to be 25 minutes from home. Heck! That's closer than his 60+ mile one-way commute to work. I might even see him at dinnertime, but I'm not holding my breath.

When Joe's away, I get lonely and bored. In the evenings I can be dangerous. One night last week I bought some fabric. Then a few minutes later I bought a walking foot for my machine. I have several ideas using my walking foot. The first being:

An "eye spy" or "I spy" bag. It's kind of like a bean bag with some trinkets inside and a clear vinyl window. I found some small choking hazards on the mantel of our family room (that keep finding their way into this room, where baby spends all of his exploratory playtime) and gathered up a few other things (i.e., penny, BB, jingle bell, buttons, etc.) to put inside. It is definitely not a toy for babies and other little ones. Especially babies with a mouthful of sharp teeth.

Baby book entry: Yesterday Sawyer was sitting on the floor playing with his ball and some Mr. Potato Head eyes. He got into this position and (right after I snapped this picture, of course) he stood up. On his own. Without using his hands for any support! Just right in the middle of the floor. Using only his leg muscles! I am so sure that I cannot do that! Amazing little guy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you're going to love your walking foot - makes quilting a breeze!

my mom made some really cool i-spy bags for the kids - and she attached a laminated card that has a list of all the things inside - and there's A LOT of them. It's more fun for the older kids that way - read it and then find it.
Karyn said…
I thought I wanted/needed a walking foot and then I talked myself out of it. Then YOU told me you needed one and I suddenly NEEDED one again. And then I talked myself out of it. NOW I think I need one again!!!! Thanks!!!

I love the bean-baggy thing!!!!

And how stinkin' cute/smart/wonderful is Sawyer????
Anonymous said…
yea Sawyer!
nikko said…
How funny. I just bought a new foot for my machine, too. I got a rolled hem foot. Like Karyn, I have wanted/needed a walking foot, and then have talked myself out of it a million times.

Can't wait to see what you make with it. :o)
FinnyKnits said…
That is THE cutest idea - I love it! I am so making one for my goddaughter. Imagine all the fun stuff that goes in there! What's been the kid's favorite thing to "spy" so far?
Anonymous said…
Oh, he's movin' now! Nora was an early walker like your kids. And what a cute idea- the little spy pouch!
Anonymous said…
I covet your walking foot. My stinking totally basic machine doesn't have cool accessories to buy for it. Maybe one day I'll get a cool one too!
I've never seen I Spy bags before. What a cute idea!
Heidijayhawk said…
way to go sawyer! and i love that peek a boo window!
Anonymous said…
That I spy bag is a great idea! I'll have to remember that for birthdays. Now I'm also assured that a walking foot is in my future, also!
Good job Sawyer!
Lora said…
I have a walking foot...didn't know it was called that until I read this LOL OK so wanna make a tutorial on what that bad boy does (the walking foot, not the walking baby! yeah Sawyer!!)
I love your idea of the I spy bag. So great! You are going to love your walking foot. I use mine all the time. It saves so much time and frustration. Sewing certain materials with it is just a breeze. It is definitely a must have staple in any sewing room.
Sawyer starting to stand/walk?! Wasn't he just born yesterday?! :)
Anonymous said…
The I spy bag is such a great place for those little choking hazards! And I'm sure the walking foot came in handy sewing the vinyl. I sew with my walking foot on the machin 90% of the time. You're going to love it.

I had no idea Joe drove so far to work. Why do you guys live so far away?
I love my walking foot too. It makes sewing some thicker fabrics so much easier. I love that I-Spy bags too, great idea!

And, well done Sawyer!
Anonymous said…
Hey we have a Sawyer!!!
Berber said…
Hmmm, I think I might need a walking foot too! Thanks for explaining it :)
Karen Frank said…
just happened upon your blog! I am a momma of 5! I am going to attempt some I Spy bags! you have a beautifel family!

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair