Summer's Harvest

That's it. That's all we got! That's all we'll probably get. After the 20+ tomato plants we planted. After all the beans, lettuce, herbs, peppers (green, mixed, jalapeno, banana), raspberries, blackberries, etc. ... that's all we got! This summer was not a good gardening summer. We have had terribly dry weather, resulting in dead grass (in July!) and dead plants everywhere. Because rain has not been happening here (until the past 2 weeks when we've had four storms, but much too late in the season to be beneficial), we have been advised to conserve water. Early on we watered our garden before the drought hit. Then we just hoped for the best. I guess this is "the best." It's pitiful.

I can't blame it entirely on the drought, though. Certain little sneaky critters have found their way into my herb garden (and flower beds) eating my plants down to their roots. I'm not even sure what kinds of critters are doing this because I have never seen them. Only the nibble marks they left behind in the early days. Now I can't even tell what I had planted where.


On a lighter note, I finally finished and mailed the Fat Quarter Challenge grand prize to Karyn. She received it yesterday. I guess it's a good thing we're friends, because she excused my inexcusable tardiness. The problem was that Lori and I had picked a different prize for the winner. But, Karyn already has one. Then we had to decide what we could send her that she couldn't make (or hasn't made) herself. Voila! An apron.

The apron is made from Alexander Henry's Picnic print (I think -- I started this apron a long time ago). Sorry, again, Karyn that it took forever.

Comments

nikko said…
Lera,
Yes! Four boys! Can you believe it? I think maybe I announced it here while you were camping, maybe?

My garden was pretty pitiful this year, too. We were gone for 3 weeks and it all went down hill while we were gone. Oh well.
Anonymous said…
our garden has been kind of suffering, too - hottest summer in 90 years or something. and we've been slacking taking care of it. but we got berries, that almost all we care about! :)
Anonymous said…
Garden? What garden? Mine has been overtaken by weeds and I have not been home enough or with enough energy to tackle that. Can you believe I used to grow flowers for Farmer's Market? I can't either.

The apron turned out CUTE!
Karyn said…
Lera, that apron is amazing!!!! I think I need to link to your picture of it since mine is so pathetic!

I love it so much, and again, thanks Lera!!
beki said…
A least you got something. We didn't even get one measley tomato, but then we planted too late, so our plants just fried.
laura capello said…
so that awesome friendship is what is gonna make you forgive me for STILL not sending out your package, right?
Sarah and Jack said…
Something is eating our peppers too. Every single one of them. Argh.
Berber said…
What a lovely apron!
Anonymous said…
Our tomato plants have been looking terrible as well. July was not kind to them. Funny thing, two of them are left-over from last summer, somehow surviving the winter in our sunroom and looked like they'd thrive this year, but July stopped them. Just puny little tomatoes. Thank goodness for the farmer's market!
dig this chick said…
I heart your sweet little harvest. This year is wild indeed. My garden is yielding but I have had to change everything up because of the relentless heat. And now smoke.

I couldn't click through with the link you left in your comment on my site....but I am assuming it led here!

It would be fun to make one meal with everything you harvested.
diana said…
I have had the same problem with my garden. It started out so nice and then the lack of rain along with the critters. I think we only got a handful of tomatos and beans.
I will try again next year!!!
Alisa said…
I'm so sorry about your garden. We seem to have an abundance of rain and cool weather this summer. I love the apron you made. After seeing some beatiful aprons on several blogs lately I am itching to make my own.

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Swiffer WetJet Cloths

Thrifted Chair